I am running for U.S. Senate seat vacated by the late great Kennedy.
This is not a joke.
I am prepared to accept the seat, and I am prepared to not be seated - but I will not lose because I am striving through action.
Most people are shocked and laugh, some say I am crazy.
Leo Buscaglia said one time." I like when they say that I am crazy - it gives me lots of room to play with".
I am not crazy.
I am passionate.
I think outside the box.
But I am not crazy.
When the news of Senator Kennedy's passing came onto my homepage, I began to cry.
A great man had died.
I watched the coverage of his last trip "Off Cape" and I so wanted to be a part of the gathering masses. It was the opening day of preseason for soccer and I kept waiting to be able to go and wait on the highway. The time came and I had to make my way to soccer. As I approached the highway I could see people gathered at the off ramp. When I made my way onto the highway I could see people lining the highway on both sides. I began to cry again.
I was amazed by the outpouring of support.
I made my way from exit 6 to exit 12, more and more people pulled over to pay their respects.
I wanted to be a part of it.
I called and confirmed that I would be late for opening day of soccer and coach was understanding.
I parked at the local stores and hopped the fence to be on the side of the highway.
Ten minutes later came the caravan of buses and cars and the vehicle with "The Lion".
I cried again.
On Thursday November 12th I was checking out a cover of the boston news and I felt like something was missing from this candidate pool.
This is a special seat - not because it is a U.S. Senate seat.
This is a special seat because it is the seat of Edward Kennedy, literally.
This is a three year seat - the balance of his last election.
He was a visionary and a champion for great and little things.
He was talking about health care before it was popular.
What should we be talking about now , that is over the horizon?
What cause should we be lifting up right now, that may not be popular?
I may be lots of things , but I am not crazy.
I am passionate.
I am looking over the horizon.
www.capenforsenate.com
Friday, November 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment